[nycbug-talk] Check out new minimac :)

Sunny Dubey sunny-ml
Fri Jan 14 03:15:58 EST 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 21:23, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Yeah- on that note actually, I was looking at the RAM prices for it-
> 1gb stick seems WAY the heck overpriced from Apple- I'm wondering if
> 3rd party ram is kosher and available for the little rig?
> (i.e. add 1gb from apple, +$425 whereas pricewatch gets the same specs
> ram for around $95 - BIG difference...)
>
> I'd assume that a stick of 'PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SRAM' simply is what it
> is... quality is always an issue though, but(?)...

I'm going to say what sounds like the obvious: the pricing is very much
intentional.

The sales of these machines could easily eat away at their low end emac and
imac machines.  So by charging lots for RAM and voiding your warrenty if you
have non-authorized Apple folks add RAM to your system is an easy way of
ensuring two pricing brackets exist.

(Also if you add a keyboard, mouse, usb-hub, and a monitor, that can easily
run the 'average' person over 100 more to the price.)

Sunny Dubey