[nycbug-talk] Check out new minimac :)

Bjorn Nelson o_sleep
Fri Jan 14 09:19:16 EST 2005

On Jan 14, 2005, at 3:15 AM, Sunny Dubey wrote:

> On Thursday 13 January 2005 21:23, Isaac Levy wrote:
>

>> Yeah- on that note actually, I was looking at the RAM prices for it-
>> 1gb stick seems WAY the heck overpriced from Apple- I'm wondering if
>> 3rd party ram is kosher and available for the little rig?
>> (i.e. add 1gb from apple, +$425 whereas pricewatch gets the same specs
>> ram for around $95 - BIG difference...)
>>
>> I'd assume that a stick of 'PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SRAM' simply is what
>> it
>> is... quality is always an issue though, but(?)...
>
> I'm going to say what sounds like the obvious: the pricing is very much
> intentional.
>
> The sales of these machines could easily eat away at their low end
> emac and
> imac machines.  So by charging lots for RAM and voiding your warrenty
> if you
> have non-authorized Apple folks add RAM to your system is an easy way
> of
> ensuring two pricing brackets exist.

They are only charging $75 to upgrade to 512M of memory.  This is more
expensive then direct from a ram vendor but it's not enough to push it
into another bracket.  Most people only need between 384 and 512M of
ram to run their applications.  People that require 1g of ram will be
running high end applications, but why would they get a mac mini then?

> (Also if you add a keyboard, mouse, usb-hub, and a monitor, that can
> easily
> run the 'average' person over 100 more to the price.)

They are marketing this to people that have a pc and an ipod and want
to see what the whole mac experience is all about.  They will have a
keyboard, mouse, and monitor.  If they want, they can get a kvm, which
is advertised on the mini mac's accessory list.

-Bjorn