[nycbug-talk] soho router options (soekris?)

Isaac Levy ike
Wed Jan 19 14:18:05 EST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 12:04 PM, G. Rosamond wrote:

>> After investigating more yesterday, it's REALLY noteworthy to check
>> out how the m0n0wall folks distribute install media- really
>> straightforeword.  I'd love to see this go in that direction, but
>> OpenBSD/PF based, and perhaps not *soo* focused on a html gui- (but
>> that could be a cool side-project for later!)
>
> the html gui would be a nice addition, although not necessarily for
> one aimed at nycbug members.

Actually, I'll hang with Marc S. on this one, and put my hands where my
mouth is and step up to build that part when the time comes.  (web-apps
and systems integration is my bag').

First, however, I feel the thing has to be running and stable before
its' sane to lay in a web interface on top.

Also, if the web interface is designed sanely, and in an *nix-ish way,
it can actually help new users learn how to run things like PF etc...
Teach folks to fish, don't give them fish...  Everyone is happier with
that in the end IMO...

>> Shall we rock this?
>>

> I would love to, and have the basic setup ready, including pfstat,
> etc., but really don't have the time.
>
> volunteers?

Not me until it's Web-GUI time...  I'll gladly beta-test the distro and
could provide nauseatingly detailed feedback, have some old pc hardware
and nics sitting here... (assuming this distro can run on more than
just soekris boxen?  i.e. installer that just dumps to disk instead of
cf-card?)

> I know a number of nycbug people, like Kurt M., Okan D., Pete W.,
> etc., have had some Soekris fun.  I'm sure they have some input into
> the matter, if not volunteering.

Rocket-
.ike