[nycbug-talk] soho firewall

Jonathan nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Fri Mar 17 01:51:20 EST 2006

On Mar 17, 2006, at 12:57 AM, George Georgalis wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 07:41:33PM -0500, QuiGon wrote:
>> I have one of the boards that runs that box.  Windows XP and Linux
>> both
>> run great on it, so I fail to see why any x86 based BSD (with the
>> exception of OSX86) wouldn't run on it.
>
> I have a stack of network cards that work great under linux but
> have no BSD drivers... also working on a set of dual opteron
> blades from Penguin Computing which run linux but the keyboard,
> serial ports and network interface don't work with BSD.
> Here's the details... http://galis.org/blade-penguincomputing/
> notes.html
>
> So no, just because it runs Linux doesn't mean it runs bsd.
>
> However the cflash/ide; 1Ghz fanless celeron; with 100mbps fxp0
> on board and 1gbps wm0 + wm1 on the low profile pci card all work
> great. wmX interfaces do not PXE boot but the fxp0 interface does.
>
> // George

Just in reference to the VIA EPIA board in that box:

	1.5 ago, they had an issue w/USB 2.0 in the linux kernel.  1.0 was
fine, 2.0 had some sort of conflict with the driver for USB keyboard
support.  Dunno if it was fixed or if that applies to you.

	there's a bunch of outdated info here ( in regards to linux )
http://epiawiki.org/wiki/tiki-index.php

	via was keeping info on those boards here : 	http://www.viaarena.com
	they had some support in terms of drivers and patches, but licensing
issues weren't the hottest.

	if you end up with an EPIA board you most likely will need a custom
kernel for anything that uses graphics / video.

	the kernel driver that it uses under linux is VIA_RHINE