[nycbug-talk] Fwd: ARM Architecture Reference Manual availability

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Wed Sep 11 10:33:21 EDT 2013

On September 11, 2013 10:17:15 AM EDT, Brian Callahan
<bcallah at devio.us> wrote:

> On 9/11/2013 9:51 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
>> This is from the FBSD ARM list.. .may be of interest to some people on
>> this list.

> Hot on the heels of this announcement, here's how Linus feels about
> ARM SoC developers:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/11/torvalds_suggests_poison_and_sabotage_for_arm_soc_designers/
>
> (totally no bias from me...)

Well, I guess that opens the door wide for more businesses to adopt
*BSD on ARM, as the "internet of things" becomes more of a thing.

With that, sorry to shift the conversation sideways, but I see a few
big-picture roadblocks:

- General USB support for various ARM hardwares.  Sore spot, I know-
but it's a pretty serious blocker for *BSD to take off in the emerging
maker/builder/application ARM community.

- General *solid* Ethernet support for various ARM hardwares.  It's
simply no good to deploy, and have the nic jam up.

I know these are problems because of cost- inexpensive hw is not
quality, as well as being a moving target.  (My comments come after my
*very light* tinkering with FreeBSD and OpenBSD on arm- and years and
years of soekris/pcengines fun...)

--
What can non OS-developers (like myself) do to help these two issues along?

Best,
.ike