[nycbug-talk] Fwd: ARM Architecture Reference Manual availability

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Wed Sep 11 13:34:48 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Isaac (.ike) Levy
<ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:

> On September 11, 2013 10:17:15 AM EDT, Brian Callahan <bcallah at devio.us>
> wrote:
>
>> On 9/11/2013 9:51 AM, George Rosamond wrote:
>>>
>>> This is from the FBSD ARM list.. .may be of interest to some people on
>>> this list.

>> Hot on the heels of this announcement, here's how Linus feels about ARM
>> SoC developers:
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/11/torvalds_suggests_poison_and_sabotage_for_arm_soc_designers/
>>
>> (totally no bias from me...)
>>

> Well, I guess that opens the door wide for more businesses to adopt *BSD on
> ARM, as the "internet of things" becomes more of a thing.

His rant is about hardware designers, not really what's running on top
of them.  While *BSD on them is interesting, Linux barely runs on
these things for similar reasons- it's a crap shoot.  Businesses care
about running their own (heavily) modified version of whatever OS they
choose to (barely) run the crap they've created - they don't entirely
care about the ecosystem.