[talk] So Netgate bails on FreeBSD

Steve steve.b at osfda.org
Wed May 23 11:35:31 EDT 2018

I happen to do a lot of Linux; and while Red Hat has benefited the Linux
community, they have made a surprising number of blunders that were in
all likelihood fomented by having to kowtow to their Fortune 1000 base:

1. They were invested in MySQL. When Oracle bought MySQL and Red Hat did
not like where they saw things going, did they switch over to postgres?
Nah -"we'll make our own MySQL: MariaDB!" That has done nothing but put
their database users on an isolated tropical island.

2. I once asked a Redhat employee why would they choose to go with the
gnome desktop as a standard over KDE [KDE is much easier to customize,
has a desktop that supports touch, and is more likely to win over former
corporate Windows users...] He angrily responded that the KDE project
had onerous license issues WHICH HAD SINCE BEEN LIFTED. So they have to
throw good money after bad now, remaining committed to gnome when they
don't have to??

3. I had a civic-oriented application running on Linux that I needed to
make sure I had an option for corporate support. I asked Redhat if there
was a straightforward kernel options to switch off the selinux with (and
perhaps use App Armor instead...); or for that matter, where a repo was
that had the kernel compiled without it. [When you tell some user
audiences concerned about privacy issues that the software has been
developed under the auspices of the NSA -they're not too crazy about
that...] I was told it was an impossibility to get Redhat/CentoOS that way.

4. And without going into details (unless somebody from Redhat wants to
inquire...): their community is kabuki open; it's a club for employees
and corporate customers.

The reason why Redhat exists is contractors like me sometimes get
harassed by high end customers who insist on the option of getting a 24
hour driver hotline for any of their regional offices in the U.S. (even
if they don't require it TODAY, they want an assurance that such a thing
can be requisitioned in about six weeks...) With CentOS, I can say the
upgrade path is trivial.

But for other customers nowadays: debian or BSD. I also find a lot of
techs who don't want to get into the details of the OS tend to pick
Ubuntu; but their differing architectures can cause a lot of confusion
when you have to run down a problem. Debian has gotten their shit MUCH
tighter than years ago. But right now I am having to drop an app on
Ubuntu because "it's what they know..."