[Tor-BSD] Call for BSD Tor Packagers

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Mon Oct 17 22:15:13 EDT 2016

On 10/17/16 21:08, teor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When we do a Tor release, we announce the release to the packagers listed in:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/doc/HACKING/ReleasingTor.md#n144
>
> For security fixes, we provide notice of the release beforehand, including
> the severity, affected Tor versions and configurations, and likely release
> timeframe. This gives packagers advance notice to schedule releases.
>
> As far as I can tell, there aren't any BSD packagers on the list.
>
> Who are the tor packagers for the major BSD distributions?

There aren't necessarily "packagers" so much as there are port
maintainers, from which binary packages are generated.

Some of the BSD Tor port maintainers are on this list, but you can see
it from any of the port systems' Makefiles.

I can ping you offlist if you're interested... although I know that
FreeBSD is usually up-to-date with both security/tor and
security/tor-dev (alpha).

OpenBSD is always quick for updates, albeit only providing the current
stable version of Tor for -current. Unfortunately, OpenBSD -stable is
only released every six months, and includes the stable version of Tor
on those dates only. OpenBSD does not include tor-devel/alpha in its
ports tree.

Wait, let me clarify:

OpenBSD -stable: released every six months, includes stable Tor version
at release time

OpenBSD -current: updated regularly, includes the most recent stable Tor
version

If the port maintainers aren't aware of the patches, it might be worth
pinging the appropriate ports@ lists.