[CDBUG-talk] samba encryption

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Tue Mar 1 22:04:32 EST 2005

Hi all, just joining in on CDBUG.
(Blame Jesse.)

>> Anyone know if there's a way to get Samba data streams (not passwords)
>> encrypted over the wire?

> VPN   / IPSec?
> AFAIK that would be the only way to do it,  besides manual
> ecpryption/decryption, but since I don't do all that much with SMB there is a
> chance I acould be wrong :)  I am assuming you are using a variant of Windows

Samba can get by with just one port (139/tcp), which means you can in
theory do it with ssh port forwarding.

Here's somebody who got it to work with a windows client:
http://www.blisstonia.com/eolson/notes/smboverssh.php

It goes the extra step of configuring a second loopback interface to tie
the client side of the "tunnel" to.  Which you don't need to do if you
don't have Samba (or Windows File+Print) running on your client, but it's
a neat trick anyway.

--
#!/jameel/akari
sleep 4800;