[CDBUG-talk] PPPoA ... ?

Jonathan Franks jonathan.franks at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 08:42:56 EST 2005

On 11/8/05, Patrick Muldoon <doon at inoc.net> wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2005, at 12:51 PM, Jonathan Franks wrote:
>

> > Thank you, sir. Just to make certain that I understand, I would set
> > the external interface of my OBSD FW to use DHCP, set the modem to
> > "half-bridge" and essentially be all set?
> >

> If half-bridge works the same was as ZIPB does, then yes. It should
> term the PPP conneciton and then basically bridge it to the Inside
> interface. I am not sure if your modem will use DHCP to assign the
> address out, but the BestData's that our ISP's use do it that way..
>
> Before you go messing with the OBSD side of things, just set your
> modem to half-bridge, plug in a computer and see if it can dhcp :)

Hey, just wanted to post my results. It took me all of a minute and a half
to set the modem to half-bridge mode, and set my external interface to
dhcp.... and it works perfectly. Thanks for the insights, Patrick. This
couldn't have been easier, and it's neat to have ssh access to my network
from out here in the world.

BTW, in case anyone is interested my DSL modem is a Visionnet DQ 201ER.

-Jonathan