[CDBUG-talk] FW: alternative for 'screen'?

J Hays bsduser at gfoyle.org
Fri May 2 14:02:03 EDT 2008

> > JV Hays wrote:
> >> After installing FreeBSD 7 under VMWare this morning I see to my
> >> dismay there is no port available for the GNU screen program
> >> (evidently there is/was a security flaw). What do you guys
> >> recommend as an alternative?
> >>
> >> -JV Hays
> >>

>  > I have screen installed on several of my systems, and I've
> not noticed  > any report from portaudit about there being an
> outstanding security
> issue.
>  >
>  >
>  > --  James L. Lauser
>  >      james at jlauser.net
>  >      Owner, jlauser.net Hosting Services
>  >      http://jlauser.net/
>  >
>  >

> I suspect an out of date ports tree for the original poster.
> According
> to http://www.freshports.org/sysutils/screen/ the last vuln
> related to
> version 4.0.2_4 which was replaced by 4.0.3 on 26 Oct 2006 05:27:46
>
> --
> Dan Langille

Thanks for the nudge in the right direction. The real reason behind my post
is just ignorance of Free BSD. I don't use it often and I installed it,
tried to run screen from the prompt, and then tried to install it with the
one command I could remember: 'pkg_add -r', with these results:

jh_freebsd# screen
screen: Command not found.
jh_freebsd#
jh_freebsd# pkg_add -r screen
Error: FTP Unable to get
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/Latest/scr
een.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch
'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/Latest/sc
reen.tbz' by URL
jh_freebsd#

After getting all your posts, I dusted off my brain and executed:

cd /usr/ports/sysutils/screen

make

make install

make clean

and screen is now installed and working on my system. I'm still not quite
sure why the 'pkg_add -r' did not work, since this command worked with a
couple of other packages.  Oh well.

Thanks again for all the helpful hints.

-JV Hays