[CDBUG-talk] CDBUG Meeting Tuesday, November 11 - Giving your first tech talk: an analysis of an OpenBSD talk

Brian Callahan bcallah at devio.us
Tue Nov 4 20:17:08 EST 2014

Hi everyone --

Mark your calendars! Next Tuesday, November 11, we will be having a
meeting at INOC, 80 State St in Albany, starting at 6:45 PM. We hope to
see everyone out for our return to regular monthly meetings!

There will be give-aways at this meeting! I have review copies of "The
Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System, 2nd Ed." to
give out.

~Brian

Title:
Giving your first tech talk: an analysis of an OpenBSD talk

Abstract:
Whether it's for work, CDBUG, or anywhere in-between, giving talks is a
skill everyone should have in their back pocket. This talk reviews an
OpenBSD talk given in October at RPISEC, the computer security club at
RPI. It details aspects the speaker thought went well and what did not,
followed by an overview of how the speaker approaches giving talks. It
will end with a discussion on how to begin giving your own talks in a
no-pressure, supportive atmosphere such as CDBUG.

Speaker Bio:
Brian is a Ph.D. student in the Science and Technology Studies
department at RPI, interested in studying local community formation
around Free and Open Source Software projects. He is also an OpenBSD
developer, focusing primarily on ports.