[CDBUG-talk] Perl (off-topic for BSD)

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Sat Nov 15 23:07:00 EST 2014

I use some pretty basic Perl coding.  My best works are still only a few hundred lines of (possibly mediocre) code that read and write ASCII files and occasionally SFTP them to other servers.  I've done a little bit of work with Mason (a fascinating HTML outputting system), but that was to extend Request Tracker 2.x something like 10 years ago.

All told, though, it's amazing how useful it is to read ASCII, chop up the data, and reformat it and blend it with other data sources.  One of my scripts (plus some documentation in a wiki) takes a 2 day task I used to run every month or so and turned it into a 1-2 hour task that I've delegated to someone that does it every week now.

Do you think that I'd be able to learn anything from the Perl group, given how lightweight my use is?

Jaime