[CDBUG-talk] Hardware lockups

freebsd at fongaboo.com freebsd at fongaboo.com
Mon Mar 23 14:00:22 EDT 2015

I have years of FreeBSD experience from a user and administration context.
However, the systems I've worked on have often been physically maintained
by someone else or otherwise was in a condition where hardware was not
really anything I had to worry about.

I've done tons of x86 hardware troubleshooting over the years, but in a
Windows or OS X context.

Me and a bunch of buddies are trying to deploy this machine as a
replacement for a colo we have:

https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=migr-58373

It's running FreeBSD 10 and we have the hardware RAID controller disabled
and it has six drives in RAIDZ with GELI storage encryption.

We're finding that the machine has locked up a bunch of times. Sometimes,
seemingly randomly when running background tasks/daemons. But one action
we seem to be able to take to reliably instigate a lock-up is to run a
portsnap extract.

I'm not really sure how to even begin to troubleshoot the problem. I
thought I'd run it by CDBUG and see if anyone has any tips or first steps.

Thanx,

FONG