[CDBUG-talk] Hardware lockups

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Mar 23 16:01:17 EDT 2015

freebsd at fongaboo.com writes:

> It's running FreeBSD 10 and we have the hardware RAID controller
> disabled and it has six drives in RAIDZ with GELI storage encryption.
>
> We're finding that the machine has locked up a bunch of
> times. Sometimes, seemingly randomly when running background
> tasks/daemons. But one action we seem to be able to take to reliably
> instigate a lock-up is to run a portsnap extract.
>
> I'm not really sure how to even begin to troubleshoot the problem. I
> thought I'd run it by CDBUG and see if anyone has any tips or first
> steps.

The first thing I'd do is to run memtest86 on it, in multi-core mode.

I have a not-similar box running NetBSD 6, and it was locking up under
heavy compile/disk load.  I ran memtest on it, and got a lockup.  Then I
moved it from my office on an APC 1400VA UPS to a real datacenter with
high-end power conditioner/room-wide UPS, and it hasn't crashed since.
So the mystery continues.