[CDBUG-talk] DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes

freebsd at fongaboo.com freebsd at fongaboo.com
Mon Jan 11 23:12:05 EST 2016

Hey folks... I was wondering if I could hit y'all up for some help or
clarification on what I am running into when compiling Apache from ports.

I'm running through a step-by-step tutorial for setting up a 'FAMP' box.
And running into long compiles of ports that fail at the end, saying some
library or another has a vulnerability. It suggests updating ports, which
makes sense off the top of my head.

But if you look below, it notes that you can add
DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes to the make command, and this
indeed pushes the build through. But I don't know that ignoring
vulnerabilities is really the best course of action.

Here's where I should probably note that I am running this in a jail. In
my understanding, the ports tree manifests within the jail as a read-only
filesystem that is linked from the host filesystem. In my understanding,
that means you can't update ports from within the jail.

So I exit out of the jail, and from the host prompt I run:

portsnap fetch
portsnap extract
portsnap update

...and this seems to complete successfully (at the host level).

But when I go back into the jail and try to run the make command, it still
fails out with the warning about vulnerabilities. Setting
DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes seems to be the only way to push it through.

If I'm understanding what is going on, I shouldn't be comfortable
compiling libraries with known vulnerabilities. Should getting ports
properly updated indeed be my goal?

Would anyone be able to clarify what I am encountering here and suggest
the best way to proceed?

Thanks,

FONG