[Semibug] Planning meeting place and time

Josh Grosse josh at jggimi.homeip.net
Tue Nov 10 19:32:36 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 08:39:22PM -0500, Michael W. Lucas wrote:

> I'm inclined to go to plan B: goldfish tea. But don't want to switch
> at the last minute and scramble everything.
>
> Thoughts, people?

I'm OK with either place for a first meeting.  The tea house
lacks a private room, and the track lacks a full kitchen at
the moment.

(My travel was just deferred to December or later and I'll be
able to join the first meeting.)

More thoughts follow...

We need a place where we can sit, to discuss and share ideas.

This requires chairs.  With our size group, I prefer circles to
theather seating, because it aids interaction.  I expect no more
than a dozen or so at a typical meeting, based on the size of the
current mailing list.

It requires quiet -- from others, and the toleration of the noise
we will make in others around us.

It requires the ability to share ideas in written / drawn form.  We
present, even if in-the-round rather than from the front of a room
or from a stage.

It requires food and beverage.  Stuff that won't kill Michael.  Or
kill me.  If not on vicinity, then very close by with the ability and
permission to traipse in with it.  We are considering dinner-hour
starting times, or missed-dinner-hour arrival times for more
distant travellers, and most everyone will have to deal with rush
hour traffic, weather, and construction delays.  Perhaps the track
will become a better option for us in the spring when they
restart their seasonal kitchen.

It requires repeatability.  We need a facility that will have
us back.  Will *want* us back.

---

I'm most concerned about quiet -- for ourselves, and others.
This is the one issue I have about Goldfish.  I like the
place, but not having a back room is something of a detriment.
It has sufficient space for our expected small group, but noise in
both directions may be a problem.  Or become one.

---

For communication of ideas, we can really make do here.  We all
carry portable WiFi access points everywhere with us, and we can all
install VNC clients on laptops/netbooks/tablets.  I even have a VNC
client on my portable WiFi access point ... er.. phone.

Sometimes a whiteboard is all you need. Or a flip chart.