[Semibug] internal number storage in libre office calc [was: LibreOffice is summing incorrectly]

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Thu May 23 04:54:14 EDT 2024

CAREY SCHUG wrote on 2024-05-22 22:55:

> OK, my spreadsheet is only 1.3 MB

1.3MB is miniscule in relation to any disk in the past 10 (20?) years.

What's your time worth?

> single precision calculation is faster too.

How many microseconds could you save and how much time are you willing
to invest into that?

> (3) perhaps I could have all integers (100 times bigger than the desired
> number), and shift the decimal while displaying, but if I have to learn
> to type in everything, that is a LOT more work (mostly i now enter
> numbers like 5 or 3 or 2.1 or .12 so typing 500, 300, 210 and 12 would
> be more typing) and an even longer learning curve...

Yeah, it's going to cause errors in data entry, just to potentially
avoid rounding errors of fractions of cents.

Probably LibreOffice and GnuCash are suitable for your needs (I've never
looked at GnuCash).

Your file sizes without fiddling could still almost fit on a 3½" floppy.
Or, eleventeen gazillion of them on a fingernail-sized media card.
You're okay there too.

Sounds like things are actually fine and trying to optimize away via
single vs double precision just ain't worth it.

Good luck,

rb