[Semibug] tragedy of systemd: was: OT: is there any office package (especially spreadsheet) that lets me choose a PEN color

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Thu May 23 22:54:44 EDT 2024

On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 09:06:39PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Ron / BCLUG said on Thu, 23 May 2024 12:12:31 -0700
>

> I'll address his central point, which is that systemd has many
> benefits. My rebuttal is that nobody needs that kind of complexity.

I don't know what the cause was but I could never get scanning (xsane)
to work on either Linux Mint or Kubuntu.

 One of the claims about systemd is that it would provide faster boot
up. However, my Devuan Linux boots faster than either KdeNeon or
Kubuntu or Linux Mint. All three were installed on the same T480
laptop, which now runs Devuan.

Finally there is the xz exploit, which has a writeup:
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=171179460913574&w=2

it leads in with a quote to remember -

"This dependency existed not because of a deliberate design decision
by the developers of OpenSSH, but because of a kludge added by some
Linux distributions to integrate the tool with the operating
system's newfangled orchestration service, systemd."

---
Kind regards,
Jonathan