[Semibug] NTFS usb HDD and OpenBSD

Kyle Willett kyle.d.willett at gmail.com
Sat May 25 23:59:49 EDT 2024

Hi Jonathan,

It shouldn't matter what format the drive comes in.  As long as the
computers in question have ports to connect it via USB 2/3/4, SATA, eSATA,
all should work.  The only thing that might not work is a thunderbolt drive
but even that should work because it is essentially also a USB 3 or 4 drive.

It doesn't matter what format the drive comes in software wise too.  exFAT
and NTFS are common as are unformated drives.

You are right that NTFS is a poor choice for a BSD and Linux drive.  Fat32
is the best for compatibility but has a lot of disadvantages in max file
size and volume size.  Ext2 is then your best bet being supported by all
*BSDs and Linux in read and write mode.

Hope that helps sir,
Kyle