[Semibug] NTFS usb HDD and OpenBSD

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Sat May 25 13:29:49 EDT 2024

I need to buy new external USB hard drives to do backups, for my
OpenBSD laptop. Are most of the portable hard drives fornatted in
NTFS? If so, I read the following in the OpenBSD man pages:

>From man (8) mount_ntfs

"The supported NTFS versions include both NTFS4, as used by Microsoft
Windows NT 4.0, and NTFS5, as used by Microsoft Windows 2000 and
XP.
Only read-only operation is permitted, which is automatically
enforced."

I will have to reformat the hard drives in Linux ext2 fs. I do that so
I can share data with my Devuan Linux laptop.

Any advice would be appreciated on what kind of external HDD to buy.

I am using OpenBSD 7.5 and Devuan Daedalus 5.0.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan