[Semibug] LibreOffice substitutes

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu May 23 06:10:34 EDT 2024

Hi all,

In another thread I dissed LibreOffice pretty hard, so it makes sense
to name some substitutes.

* LyX for PDF documentation.
* LyX is my #1 goto for full length book authoring.
* VimOutliner for lightning fast outline creation.
* LaTeX plus Beamer for presentation creation.
* Gnumeric for spreadsheeting.
* Bluefish for HTML creation.
* Bluefish is good for coding in some computer languages, also.
* Inkscape for diagrams, drawings etc.
* Inkscape for 1 page flyers.
* MariaDB, Postgres, SQLite, Harbour and GNU Cobol for databases.
* Scribus is supposed to be a great desktop publishing software, though
  I've never used it.
* Plain TeX for long, simple documents destined for PDF.
* Markdown for very simple documents.
* Stylz for write once publish in all formats. This is vaporware right
  now. I've pretty much defined the format and if I find people to help
  me with the PDF exporter, and maybe give me a little help with the
  HTML/ePub exporter, it will become a reality. Stylz will be a
  keyboard-only, no mouse, very fast authoring tool.

I'm a Linux guy, but I'm pretty sure most of these things are available
for major BSD variants.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21