[nycbug-talk] Darwin Kernel Hacking

Isaac Levy ike
Wed May 12 02:53:29 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Thought it was worth forking a new thread here, seeing as Mach Kernel
hacking has gotten a WEE bit off the topic of file protocols... :)

On May 11, 2004, at 7:26 PM, G.Rosamond wrote:

[...some.file.protocol.conversation...]

>>> I believe their implementations are not the same, or so it appears
>>> in the
>>> linux kernel because each has their own kernel module from the samba
>>> guys
>>>
>>> hence why it should be tested seperately
>>
>> We were talking about OS X, on the NYC BSD Users Group mailing list.
>> I'm not sure what the implementation details of the Linux kernel has
>> to do with that ;)
>>
>> -bob
>
> The next time we'll compare OSs and protocols. . like that one that
> has a kernel developed separately from the rest of the os, separate
> from the packages it runs, versus the BSDs.

Ok, so here goes some urls about kernel hacking in Darwin/OSX, and may
shed some light on why Mach is different from other BSD kernels.
(note- I'm not at all suggesting any kind of kernel argument here, but
am simply interested in sharing differences, strengths/weaknesses...)
Any folks here with BSD Kernel Hacking experience, who just recently
purchased iBooks etc..., (cough cough), here's some urls:

Darwin Kernel Documentation (main)
http://tinyurl.com/35v8u
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Kernel-date.html#//
apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000422-TP30000532

Kernel Extension Concepts
http://tinyurl.com/3f25k
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KEXTConcept/
articles/kext_dependencies.html

Hello Kernel: Creating a Kernel Extension With Xcode
http://tinyurl.com/2vlz5
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/KEXTConcept/
articles/hello_kext.html

And noteworthy, while stumbling over Google fast to see if I could find
some relevant Non-Apple source material, I found this nugget of fun:

Mach and Darwin binary compatiblity for  NetBSD/powerpc and NetBSD/i386.
http://hcpnet.free.fr/applebsd.html

(Photoshop on NetBSD/i386? wtf? perverse...)

Rocket-
.ike