[talk] Whaaaaa? Unicast Use of the Formerly Reserved 127/8

Isaac (.ike) Levy ike at blackskyresearch.net
Fri Nov 19 14:13:25 EST 2021

Hi All,

https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-127-00.html

"This document provides history and rationale to reduce the size of the IPv4 local loopback network ("localnet") from /8 to /16, freeing up over 16 million IPv4 addresses for other possible uses."

Not policy, only a draft- sky is not falling here, but...

I can't say I see anything good coming from this because: 16m IPv4 address is a drop in the bucket, and the crazy work that will ensue patching new gaping security holes and other network hyjinks distract from more support and adoption of IPv6...

Thoughts?

Happy Turkey Day all!

Best,
.ike