[talk] Need Help installing favorite game Trek73

jpb jpb at jimby.name
Sat Mar 12 19:57:46 EST 2022

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 18:22:29 -0500
George Cooper <fogisforfrogs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi my name is George Cooper, I live in NJ, and I am looking for
> someone that can help me install and run a favorite game of mine that
> was been converted to FreeBSD.  I have downloaded VirtualBox to my
> Windows 7 PC, and have installed FreeBSD to VirtualBox.  I am
> clueless about the next steps. Links to the source code and info
> about the origins of the game.
> https://github.com/kristopherjohnson/trek73 I have played Trek73 for
> years on DOSBox, with a DOS version of the game, but I am wanting to
> use the FreeBSD version, which has other features, called "ship
> builder" which would allow for custom ships.
> https://kermitmurray.com/trek73/trek73-software/freebsd-version/ I
> thought someone who knows how to create the commands or set up the
> game files, which are downloaded to my Windows PC could help me in a
> Zoom call or something. Thanks and hope to hear from someone soon.
> George Cooper
> 973 953 1762 cell/text

Welcome George from a former NJer myself!

Ok, in brief, here are the steps you'll need to take.

1. Log into your FreeBSD virtual machine instance as a normal user.
2. Grab the code from Github:
fetch https://github.com/kristopherjohnson/trek73/archive/refs/heads/master.zip

3. unzip master.zip  && cd trek73-master

You'll have to fix a few things in the code.  The modern C compiler in
FreeBSD is less forgiving than whatever compiler was originally used.

I had to:
  * fix the definition of round() to be compatible with round() in
/usr/include/math.h

  * comment out the encrwrite() function in  src/save.c

  * declare Input[] and *Inptr as extern  in src/command.l

  * remove static from class[] in src/shipyard.c

It then *compiles*.  Whether or not it will throw an error from all the
compiled warnings is anyone's guess.  I leave fixing all the FreeBSD
compiler warnings to a more capable developer.

Anyway, that should get you started.

Enjoy!

Jim B.

Had to smile seeing the old uucp style addresses:
hplabs!hpccc!okamoto  and ames!yee

It's been a while since I've seen that :-)