[Tor-BSD] ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-9-stable/All/tor*.tbz doesn't exist

Richard Childers fscked at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 9 20:28:38 EDT 2013

This seems to be a recent state of affairs because ../Latest/tor.tbz
DOES exist, and it points to tor-0.2.2.39.tbz, which, as reported, does
not exist.

As reported in the Subject:, NONE of the Tor distributions seems to
exist for FreeBSD 9.

So what version of FreeBSD is everyone using?

Where are you getting your Tor packages from?

I noticed this, because I am installing FreeBSd 9.1, and I saw that
Vidalia was available as a port - and so I decided to see if it was
available as a package.

It is available as a package, and so I installed it - without errors, I
can show you the installation log.

But when I started it, it just hung. `vidalia -help` was tremendously
helpful, but even with that, I couldn't tell what was happening, even
with '-loglevel debug'.

Eventually I noticed that Vidalia's settings didn't have an absolute
path to Tor, and I went looking for it, and couldn't find it.

I grepped through the log and was astonished to discover that Vidalia
had not installed Tor!

So I went looking on ftp.freebsd.org, and my results are as reported, above.

Next, I'll try the 'ports' releases.

If this is by design it is not clear whom it is helping.

Regards,

~richard