[Tor-BSD] OpenBSD Bandwidth Issues

Richard Johnson rdump at river.com
Tue Apr 28 18:35:25 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-07 15:43, Seth wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 11:17:54 -0800, Libertas <libertas at mykolab.com> wrote:
>
>> It turns out my new exit node is an even better example than it was when
>> I posted it two days ago. Compare its measured and consensus bandwidths
>> with its actual bandwidth:
>>
>> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/CDAB3AE06A8C9C6BF817B3B0F1877A4B91465699
>>
>> It's running on a pretty fast 100 Mbps uplink on a dedicated server with
>> hardware that should be serious overkill.
>
> ...so three months later and my OpenBSD Tor exit node Advertised Bandwidth
> seems to have plateaued at approx 2.27 MB/s:
> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/E1E1059D8C41FC48B823C6F09348EA89C4D4C9D4
>
> Curious what other people are seeing for speeds on their *BSD nodes.
>
> According to VULTR Server Monitors, resource usage over 1 month period is
> nowhere near the limit.

I currently use a non-AES-NI 2-CPU 12-total-cores system running OpenBSD
5.6-stable.  For 6 relays on the box (3 IP addresses) I see combined
throughput averaging 3.7 to 4.5 MB/s over multiple days according to arm.

The fastest of the family:
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/41FFC361F0D51F3752E9481B075D5508D21C8D12
This particular relay topped out on file descriptors (limit was 8192), so now
the limit has been increased.

The second fastest of the family:
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/1CC39E06101B0DBFA103A18A2032C4A0FE0503C8

Richard

(GEOa is running on Mac OS X, and is anemic for reasons I don't yet understand)