[Tor-BSD] Tor/BSD buildbot call for builders

Christian Sturm reezer at reezer.org
Fri Feb 20 15:27:11 EST 2015

Hello,

since jenkins.torproject.org only tests Windows, Linux, etc. I thought
we as the BSD community could probably set up or own testing, so
problems on the BSDs might be caught more quickly.

For this reason I did q quick & dirty setup of a build bot master and
a slave running FreeBSD. Nothing was tested yet, since so far there
has been no commit.

I talked to weasel about using jenkins first, but there are some
worries about security, so I thought I'll just go for buildbot, which
is easy to setup (requiring just Python with some modules).

So I call for builders. All one needs is a (preferably) alway-on
system running BSD. No root user required. Like I said the setup is
really simple. One installs a buildbot-slave (via port/package or
using 'easy_install buildbot-slave') and runs a command like that

buildslave create-slave slave 81.7.14.172:9989 <buildername> <password>

You will get a message about setting some infos and contact
information, which you should do. Then you can run it with:

buildslave start <directory the previous command created>

Just send me the name and the password of your choice and tell me
which BSD you are running, so I can set up the master side part.

Also see (the slave part of):
http://docs.buildbot.net/current/tutorial/firstrun.html#creating-a-slave

The output can be seen here:
http://81.7.14.172:8010/waterfall

As mentioned this is a quick and dirty setup and it's the first time I
use buildbot. I am no member of the Tor Project, whatsoever. If this
eats up your system (which it really shouldn't) I take no
responsibility. Please make sure the user doesn't have more
permissions than needed and DO NOT run this as root user. Also I can't
guarantee everything will work all the time of course.

Greetings,
Christian