[Tor-BSD] simple bandwidth scanner: sbws

Conrad Rockenhaus conrad at rockenhaus.com
Sun Oct 21 19:21:36 EDT 2018

Are there any hot spot areas in the world where this tool especially could
be in place? Like Asia Pacific region or that sort of thing?

Thanks,

Contad

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 2:24 PM George Rosamond <
george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> George Rosamond:
> > juga of the Tor Project is writing the new bandwidth scanner for Tor,
> > simple bandwidth scanner, sbws. The current one is difficult, and
> > neither Attila nor I could get it working on OpenBSD.
> >
> > The current version is based on a bunch of install steps, but not
> > integrated with any OS's ports systems.
> >
> > juga's is much simpler, and is written in python3. Some of the tests
> > require bash, but we made note of that in a ticket. One of us will work
> > on that at some point.
> >
> > It's only on version 0.8.0, and it won't be ready for production until
> > it hits 1.
> >
> > Vincius already got it into FreeBSD ports
> > (https://www.freshports.org/net/py-sbws/) which is awesome... over the
> > summer I created a functioning OpenBSD Makefile with juga, and have it
> > updated to 0.8.0 now.  It requires py-stem 1.7.0 which is in FreeBSD
> > ports, but OpenBSD still is at 1.6.0. There are a few other basic py-
> > DEPS. I just noticed he has some DEPENDS that aren't in mine, which I'm
> > curious about. . .
>
> My mistake on the extra DEPs. I glanced quickly and the diff for
> net/Makefile was a bunch of seemingly related py- modules which I
> mistakenly took for py-stem deps.
>

> > Anyways, running bandwidth scanners is an assigned function within the
> > Tor community, we don't need noise like that impacting the directory
> > authorities. But regardless, it's useful for testing with things like
> > chutney, which should also be ported to the BSDs at some point
> > (https://gitweb.torproject.org/chutney.git/)
> >
> > If anyone does NetBSD porting, take a look at the Freshports url for his
> > port as a guide. Mine isn't public, but I can provide if anyone's
> > interested.
> >
> > Achieving network diversity isn't just about relays as important as that
> > is. Getting a diverse Tor directory infrastructure is also vital, and at
> > this point is mostly Linux, outside of one directory authority and the
> > bridge directory authority AFAIK.

Conrad Rockenhaus
https://www.rockenhaus.com
------
Get started with GreyPony Anonymization Today!
https://www.greyponyit.com