[Tor-BSD] BSDs & tor 0.4.7.7

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed May 4 09:46:50 EDT 2022

Every BSD relay operator should be aware that upgrading to tor-0.4.7.7
is critical for exits.

When the release was impending, I reached out the port maintainers at
each project. It looks like anyone running the frequently updated
branches should be fine.

So eg, -current on OpenBSD, `latest` packages on FreeBSD, current in
pkgsrc/NetBSD are all fine.

There are some things to deal with, such as a patch for 7.1-stable on
OpenBSD's net/tor which I have, Dragonfly pushing an update, and pkgsrc
moving to 0.4.7.7 in -stable
(https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/stable/pkgsrc/net/tor/Makefile) etc,
but overall things should be fine.

NetBSD also needs a port maintainer for net/tor.

If anyone is having issues getting 0.4.7.7 on a BSD, this is a good
place to raise it.