[NYCBSDCon] Talk idea Kernel netdump project / Contiki Another BSD Licensed OS

Mark Saad mark.saad at ymail.com
Thu Sep 19 10:18:34 EDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Isaac (.ike) Levy <ike at blackskyresearch.net
> wrote:

> On September 18, 2013 11:20:25 PM EDT, Brian Callahan <bcallah at devio.us>
> wrote:
>
>  I don't mean to be the "bad guy" here, but I lean no on this -
>> explanations inline.
>>
>> On 9/18/2013 10:30 PM, Mark Saad wrote:
>>
>>> All
>>>    I was talking to Ike and to Toothman, about an idea for a talk. Here
>>> is the short synopsis
>>>
>>> Contiki is a BSD licensed embedded OS that has nothing to do with
>>> Free/Net/Open other then the license. I said to Ike and Jim that it may
>>> be a good idea to see if we can get someone to talk about why contiki
>>> chose the BSD license,  what contiki has to offer the world and show off
>>> some of the cool things you can do with it. IE the Apple II port talking
>>> to a set of smart street lamps via IPv6 .
>>>

>> Don't get me wrong - I think it's really neat that there's a system like
>> Contiki out there and it looks like they're doing really interesting
>> things, but how does that fit into a day that's supposed to be a showcase
>> for *BSD? This could be especially disastrous for an embedded con - would
>> we really want to spend 5 of the 6 talks about all the progress and
>> usefulness of *BSD in the embedded space and then a talk on some other
>> system entirely? It would make us seem less confident in successfully
>> implementing *BSD in the embedded space (despite the fact that Contiki runs
>> on archs we never will).
>>
>> The way I see it, is if that paragraph was s/contiki/linux/ or
>> s/contiki/windows/ - would we even need to have this discussion? I think
>> the same applies for contiki - even if it does use a BSD license.
>>
>> Also, on a separate but not unrelated note, do we want the con to be a
>> place to discuss proprietary vs GPL vs BSD (or, at least, why choose BSD)?
>> I could be swayed either way on that.
>>
>>  Why should NYC*BSDCon entertain a talk / presentation about another OS ?
>>> Well for starters There was some talk on the FreBSD Hackers mailing list
>>> about building a netdump setup for FreeBSD that was akin to the Apple
>>> OSX Netdump a/k/a kernel network dumps over the network.  The thread
>>> went so far as to say hrumm, we could use the contiki uIP stack to make
>>> this happen, yadda yadda yadda.
>>>
>>> So two talk topics that are sort of related
>>>
>>> 1. General Presentation on Contini , uIP,  6lopan, RIME
>>>

>> I don't think this talk has a place at the con, for above reasons. We
>> will have plenty of topics lined up, no?
>>
>>  2. General Talk on Netdump, its use of uIP , etc
>>>

>> I could be swayed on this, if FreeBSD(/others) got or were working on a
>> working implementation. Otherwise I don't see the difference between
>> talking about uIP and talking about, say, the FreeDOS stack.
>>
>>  What do you all think, should this be researched and people contacted ?
>>>

>> My 2 cents - feel free to tell me that I'm wrong though.
>>
>> ~Brian

> I think Brian is right- in this respect: it's a day-con, and with all the
> [...]
So I think netdump and netconsole are totally relevant to embedded setups.
Since the BSD's currently lack a netconsole see
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt . Having
a talk on automated / remote debuging could be helpful for a con where we
focus on embed platforms.

On the contiki topic , I was thinking that the idea of having someone who
is not working on BSD UNIX talk about their BSD licensed embed os may spark
the interest , be a muse , etc, of a BSD developer who is attending. The
thing is I do not know the Contiki developers , core team or user base. I
just read a bit about it and it sounded damn interesting .

Wrapping this up I think having a track / talk / bucket / table on remote
debugging would be a good idea .

Mark Saad | mark.saad at ymail.com