[Semibug] Install webstore on OpenBSD Server

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Thu Jul 27 14:02:41 EDT 2023

Jonathan Drews wrote on 2023-07-26 15:59:

> 3) The whole Hypervisor/Virtual Machine cincept is just crazy. The
> Hypervisor consumes something like 8% of CPU power to run a menagerire
> of operating systems. It sounds like a sys admins nightmare. How is
> that better than having a single FreeBSD or OpenBSD computer with
> multiple user accounts?

How many servers are running out there? I bet all of us can think of
multiple orgs with over a million.

At that scale, maintenance is going to be constant: disk replacements,
bad RAM, more efficient CPUs, etc.

With a VM, one can move the VM to another physical host with *zero*
downtime.

A SysAdmin's dream and well worth the 8% overhead.

> 4) I don't trust the security of Virtual Machine systems. It's needless
> complexity. It is something devised by the Linux people. The moto of
> Linux should be:
>    "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

Their security has been well tested and is fine. Not perfect, since
nothing is.  Also, doesn't the concept of a VM go all the way back to
early mainframes? I think it does.

Indeed, it's probably better security for a multi user environment since
it isolates the users' environments from each other much better and it
allows a hundred Ubuntu users plus That One Guy who wants to run some
obscure OS that no one else cares about enough to run on bare metal in a
hosting environment.

rb