[Semibug] Install webstore on OpenBSD Server

Mike Wayne semibug15 at post.wayne47.com
Fri Jul 28 14:28:01 EDT 2023

On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 09:30:33PM -0400, Josh Grosse wrote:
> You are not required to use your hosting company's backup services.
> For example, my hosting company can provide VPS backups, yet all of my
> VPS platforms -- and physical platforms --  are backed up using Tarsnap,
> a third party commercial service with open source client software.
>
> I strongly recommend MWL's Tarsnap Mastery, a book which
> totally transformed my thinking about how my data is managed for
> both recovery and continuity.  The service is operationally different from
> classic filesystem backup or archive solutions.

I've used tarsnap in the past to back up machines that are in data
centers.  It's OK. After a while, I gave up on it and changed to
dump/restore to local Synology diskstations because it's SO much
easier for me and if I need access to anything, it's already local.

I have a simple shell script that does: - Level 0 every N days -
Level 1 nightly The script is kept in a master location and uses
case staements to figure out which host it is on and which filesystem
on that host should be backed up today. This permits me to adjust
times and dates to insure that level 0 backups are never running
on the same day and each host has it's own timeslot.

The net result is that I can easily reproduce a filesystem with two
restore commands.

If bandwidth is a concern, Do the following optimization:
- Level 0 whenever the OS is updated
- Level 1 every N days
- Level 2 nightly
Which saves a lot of bandwidth and requires only 3 restores.