[Semibug] Install webstore on OpenBSD Server

BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Thu Jul 27 17:42:48 EDT 2023

Jonathan Drews wrote on 2023-07-27 14:20:

>> A SysAdmin's dream and well worth the 8% overhead.
>>
> More propaganda from proponents for the society for the preservation
> of artificial complexity.

I see it as an example of "Guy with computer and low complexity use-case
not imagining the inherent complexity of scaling up multiple orders of
magnitude".

>> Their security has been well tested and is fine. Not perfect,
>> since nothing is.  Also, doesn't the concept of a VM go all the way
>> back to early mainframes? I think it does.
>
> According to the report from https://firewalltimes.com/  their
> security is bad. AWS got hacked every year since 2016. OpenBSD has 2
> recorded hacks in 30 years.

Comparing an OS whose usage is close to zero vs hosting nearly half the
internet isn't even comparing apples to oranges, it's comparing grapes
to car tires.

>> Indeed, it's probably better security for a multi user environment
>> since it isolates the users' environments from each other much
>> better and it allows a hundred Ubuntu users plus That One Guy who
>> wants to run some obscure OS that no one else cares about enough to
>> run on bare metal in a
>
> If you are refering to OpenBSD iam afraid you are mistaken. I still
> don't see the benefit of running multiple instances of OS' as opposed
> to running just one *NIX OS with multiple accounts.
As  mentioned, when hosting a computer for friends whose web sites are
insignificant, okay - multiple users on bare metal works.

When hosting thousands to millions of users who require 99.999% uptime,
no ability to see each others /tmp folder contents, etc. ad nauseam, and
factoring in that maintenance, geographical redundancy, region-wide
power outages / cut fibre connections, and relocation of data centres
then managing actively-used operating systems becomes highly complex.

And multi-user OS on bare metal does not work for that.

This complexity didn't arise through devs wanking out ideas just for fun
- they meet the needs of real-world users.

rb