config management Re: [nycbug-talk] A couple of security related questions

George Georgalis george
Tue Oct 5 21:34:19 EDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 02:16:56PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 03:55:07PM -0400, Steve Rieger wrote:
>> Fbsd has clusterit in ports which is kinda cool,
>
>It's a *very* cool tool :-)
>
>Here's a (lightweight/humourous) article I wrote on it a while ago:
>
>http://prod.seekingfire.com/documents/toolshed/clusterit.html

nice, but what if you have blue AND green lights on your servers!

seriously, once at a large site (65 servers), we has
something similar, but it was very pedestrian, not
much more than a loop that did 'ssh $2@$groupnode
$3' for each computer in group $1. clusterit looks
much more developed... that was the same site where
the admin got all pissed at me because my rsync cron
deleted 4 hours of his dev work on a production
machine, after he had forgotten we agreed the
consultant, me, would set up the rsync cron.

really so many ways to do change management, but
if all the admins don't agree, none of them work.

>Please note that I'm still in the process of designing that site (the
>article was originally under the rospa.ca domain, which is sadly no
>more), so the URL might disappear or move in the near future. The
>hostname will undoubtably change as I get ready to go "public".

nice to see the the glider hacker emblem, I forgot about that,
interesting mouse over too... didn't dig it out of all the css,
is it free?

I looked at the bash performance toolshed too, will have to post a
couple bash bugs I came across recently. (or maybe someone can tell me
why they aren't bugs!) a script breaks (doesn't reiterate the recursion)
when I take out the debugging echo "here I am" lines, and the printf
builtin fails to do the "\n" even " \n" when it should... I got to
reproduce the problem outside the script, maybe this weekend.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org