[nycbug-talk] WiFi use liability. . .

George R. george
Thu Apr 21 18:00:04 EDT 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Wordup Gman, All,
>
> So I've got an opposing view,

yes, i was baiting *you* on this dot_ike. . .

> On Apr 21, 2005, at 3:08 PM, George R. wrote:
>
>> We've all had these discussions, but we all have our theories about
>> having an open AP and liability. . .
>>
>> Bruce Schneier refers to a law journal article. . .
>>
>> http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=692881
>>
>> Unfortunately, it seems that, at least with my browser, that you can
>> only access the abstract.
>>
>> Here's a brief snip. . .
>>
>> <quote>
>> Suppose you turn on your laptop while sitting at the kitchen table at
>> home and respond OK to a prompt about accessing a nearby wireless
>> Internet access point owned and operated by a neighbor. What
>> potential liability may ensue from accessing someone else's wireless
>> access point? How about intercepting wireless connection signals?
>> What about setting up an open or unsecured wireless access point in
>> your house or business? Attorneys can expect to grapple with these
>> issues and other related questions as the popularity of wireless
>> technology continues to increase.
>>
>> This paper explores several theories of liability involving both the
>> accessing and operating of wireless Internet, including the Computer
>> Fraud and Abuse Act, wiretap laws, as well as trespass to chattels
>> and other areas of common law. The paper concludes with a brief
>> discussion of key policy considerations.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Obviously, for a corporate network, I really can't see a logic in
>> keeping an open network . . .
>>
>> However, with home networks, opinion is split.
>>
>> But personally, I keep my AP as locked down as possible.
>>
>> Others?

> George, you know me on this issue- we've agreed to disagree
> alltogether for quite some time now- but thought I'd post *why* here.

I'd prefer it ending with one of us dead, but okay. . .  <g>

> Basically, I think this one is bogus, (though I've come to love Bruce
> Schneier over the years, and usually wait with baited breath for
> CryptoGram newsletters).
>
> I feel this is bogus hype for because:
>
> 1) Raido Signals, in the '*My* Kitchen, *Their* wifi' scenario, are
> the things invading *My* kitchen.  As an aside, in parts of Manhattan,
> there's bigger problems with the notorious Archos chipset AP's
> gobbling up RF space and killing all connectivity worth a darn.
> Another example would be wireless phone handsets, in the 2.4ghz range
> I believe, a neighbor's new phone can destroy wireless connectivity
> alltogether.

Okay . . . . but that's not responding to my point about liability.

> 2) There are mountians of legal precidence for this stuff(!), it's
> RADIO- which has existed way longer than our rediscovery of our
> wifi/IP uses for it.  A nice explanation of what's legal is here, in
> plain-english, (a radio equp. reseller):
> http://www.usascan.com/files/scanning-legally.html

Great.  So you pay for the lawyer to deal with establishing WiFi
precedence. . .

> The three big things which require a court order to 'listen' to,
> mandated by the FCC, (with laws old as the hills) are re-stated on the
> page:
>
> - Telephone conversations (cellular, cordless, or other private means
> of telephone signal transmission)
> - Pager transmissions
> - Any scrambled or encrypted transmissions
>
> With that, from the 'Secret Lives of Photons' lecture at ShmooCon/DC
> this winter, lazy/(cheapskate) police/emergency communications vendors
> call ASCII encoding 'encryption' in product/sales materials, so they
> can push into fuzzy legal territory...
>
> Other than that, the real aims of the FCC over time has been more to
> *reduce* the amount and range of various radio signals, to ensure a
> level of fair/governed use.
>
> --
> With that, I'll gladly push my but into the courts for
> cracking/disabling somebody's AP if it's interfering with my own
> wireless connectivity at home (after I've gone through polite
> neighborly channels to resolve things first, of course)- and I'll
> continue to keep my own AP's open, so if I am at least interfering
> with a neighbor's AP, they can at least get through to me so we can
> resolve it like adults...  (or use my line to get things done in the
> event I'm not available and my AP is blowing theirs out of the
> water...)
>
> I also feel privileged to use other open AP's when I'm away from home,
> and do it all the time- from cafe's, cars, etc...  and feel it's
> terrifically hypocritical to close off one's AP to the world
> <cough>Gman</cough>.

Ouch.  Yeah, yeah, yeah. . . and the main reason for replacing my iBook
is about BSD-airtools.  A tool I miss thoroughly. . . for obviously
hypocritical reasons.

> If I ever get to a point where I personally don't have enough
> bandwidth at home, leeches soaking my line, 'I'll simply throttle the
> bandwidth for guests' in some transparent manner- (even the cheap-o
> AP's are getting pretty sophistocated with features to do this in
> various ways).

sure.

> The one part of this I do agree with somewhat is Dan's use of IPSec
> over the wireless.  Insomuch as I disagree with closing off net/www
> access from the AP (for reasons stated above), I am an advocate of
> Application-layer encryption being the only *sane* way to mitigate
> malicious compromises in *any* network.  Wep is gift paper wrapping,
> mac-based ACL is wax paper wrapping...  WPA, is just a few more layers
> of waxed paper to tear through...

Two different points being confused.  My approach is based upon not
providing public access to my AP.  It's not about locking down my
network. . . that's SSL, ssh, etc. . .

> --
> With that rant, I said my piece- and Gman, as much as I respect your
> views on this one, I'm not trying to flame your chops with undue
> reason here- but we may have to again agree to just disagree here.

Flame on baby. . .

It seems you missed my point though. .. we can *talk* about legal
precedence, but we're not lawyers and we're not about to waste the time
in court. . . .

And most importantly, in the era of the USA Patriot Act, etc, it really
doesn't take much legal precedence to pay for the "sins" of others. . .

Even think of what's happening to service providers today: someone did
X wrong on your network, give us your logs.  Why open yourself up to
that scenario?

And if you go through that EFF document again on sysadmins and logging
at http://www.eff.org/osp/, you'll realize the broadness of the
definition of an "Online Service Provider" could probably include you
and your open AP.