[nycbug-talk] Sata install question

Pete Wright pete
Wed Mar 9 15:46:36 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 03:47:14PM -0500, steverieger wrote:
> Can anyone help me with instructions on how to install fbsd on
> my Prostar 9096? The install seems not to see my hard drive. I am
> getting a 'disk read error, sector 295275' message. I know that in
> installing windows that I must create a diskette driver with the
> Promise SATA378 TX2plus in order for windows to recognize the hard
> drive, so I believe a similar case is needed for installing
> Unix/Linux. I have attempted to install several distributions of
> Unix/Linux and all have failed. Please, I would appreciate any help
> available.

it sounds like freebsd is detecting the disk but it's prolly got
a bad secton on it, probably locate at 295275 ;)  i'll stop being a
wise a** now.  couple things to check, switch to another tty and type
dmesg.  see if the disks/controllers are detected.  also when are you
getting this error, during the fdisk phase, or after the disk has been
set up?

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~