[Tor-BSD] How to get Vidalia running under FreeBSD 9.1
fscked at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 9 22:00:49 EDT 2013
In my last message I complained that
(a) Vidalia did not install Tor or mention that it needed to be
(b) Tor was not available as a package, though evidence indicated it had
(c) Vidalia did not work and did not report on why it was not working.
Here's the workaround. Note that Vidalia requires an X Window manager as
a prerequisite; installation and configuration of X Window managers is
outside the scope of this document.
(1) Install Tor as a port.
(2) Do NOT set tor_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf
(3) Install Vidalia as a package.
(4) Copy /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc to ~/.vidalia/torrc
(5) Edit ~/.vidalia/torrc, if desired.
(6) Start the Vidalia X client from the command line, running in the
% vidalia -logfile /tmp/vidalia.log -loglevel debug &
(7) Monitor the logfile for problems:
% tail -f /tmp/vidalia.log
If you find the work I did valuable, and you have money to spare, you
can send contributions to your shameless author, at:
Fortuna CA 95540
If there's any interest in similar work for Tor itself, please let me know.
More information about the Tor-BSD