[Semibug] jail.conf.d question on 13.1

Aaron Lopez vieroninfo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 18:45:24 EDT 2023

Hi Mark,

I may be wrong since I have only used ezjail so far to manage jails but by
my understanding from the rc.conf man page is that jail_enable="YES"  in
/etc/rc.conf should suffice to start all configured jails defined in the
default jail configuration file "/etc/jail.conf".

>From man rc.conf

   jail_enable
                 (bool) If set to “NO”, any configured jails will not be
                 started.

    jail_conf   (str) The configuration filename used by jail(8) utility.
                 The default value is /etc/jail.conf.
 /etc/jail.⟨jname⟩.conf
                 and /etc/jail.conf.d/⟨jname⟩.conf will also be used if
                 ⟨jname⟩ is set in jail_list.

     jail_list   (str) A space-delimited list of jail names.  When left
empty,
                 all of the jail(8) instances defined in the configuration
                 file are started.  The names specified in this list control
                 the jail startup order.  jail(8) instances missing from
                 jail_list must be started manually.  Note that a jail's
                 depend parameter in the configuration file may override
this
                 list.

If you use /etc/jails.conf.d instead you need to specify the jails you want
started with jail_list.

Kind regards,
Aaron