[Semibug] LO backups & OO [was OT: is there any office package (especially spreadsheet) that lets me choose a PEN color]

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Thu May 23 14:38:22 EDT 2024

CAREY SCHUG wrote on 2024-05-23 08:07:

> LO vs OO (topic 1)
>
> I was pissed when I was told I "had" to convert from OO to LO.
>
> LO was buggy (see below)
>
> later found a friend stayed with OO and was happy.
>
> any opinions on which of LO  and OO  (or others) do the best job on reading in XL or other formats?

LibreOffice is the project where all the devs forked Open Office (an
Oracle product at the time).

It's been refactored and received rapid development updates.

OnlyOffice was abandoned by Oracle to the Apache foundation and
virtually no one works on it other than a few commits by IBM employees
(IBM has distributed OO in the past so wanted it to survive in some form).

LibreOffice beats Open Office by every metric available.

I can't speak to "XL" (XLS?) format specifically, but assume nothing has
changed in that regard in 10 years for OO.

rb