[Semibug] tragedy of systemd: was: OT: is there any office package (especially spreadsheet) that lets me choose a PEN color

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Mon May 27 13:59:46 EDT 2024

On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 01:32:47AM -0700, Ron / BCLUG wrote:
> All running KDE?  With the exact same packages installed? Seems like apples
> to oranges without that info.

Mint used the Mate desktop

> What times did you measure for them?

The boot time was so slow that it was obvious.

> Parallelism is pretty much always going to be faster, all else being equal.
>

> General question for the list: how does one diagnose which process(es) slow
> down booting up on non-systemd hosts?
>
> I run `systemd-analyze blame` and get a nice list like this:
>
>         1min 10.758s plocate-updatedb.service
>              31.549s apt-daily.service
>              31.283s apt-daily-upgrade.service
>              15.423s fstrim.service
>               7.902s dev-loop2.device
>               6.296s snapd.service
>               4.059s systemd-networkd-wait-online.service
>               3.830s systemd-udev-settle.service
>               3.819s smartmontools.service
>               3.433s zfs-import-cache.service
>               2.432s postfix at -.service
> I can see at a glance exactly what is going on with my boot sequence timing.
>
> Is something like that even possible on non-systemd machines?

I have log files in /var/log on OpenBSD. See man hier and man sysctl
on OpenBSD. Just Google "man openbsd" for OpenBSD's man pages.

 Have you even installed OpenBSD or FreeBSD? Have you ever used *BSD
for longer than one day?

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan