[talk] BSDCan Schedule Published

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri May 27 14:14:54 EDT 2022

On 5/27/22 13:15, Pete Wright wrote:
> saw this making the rounds on the bsd.network mastodon instance:
> https://www.bsdcan.org/events/bsdcan_2022/schedule/
>
> this got me thinking - what were some of your fav bsdcan memories?

Ha ha.. I don't remember *any* BSDCans...

> i have two:
> 1. my first (and unfortunately only) bsdcan a close friend of my we'll
> call Mr. C and I flew up together from the city.  as we were crossing
> the border the immigration officer asked us where we were going.  Mr. C
> replied "university of canada" and some confusion ensued - we may have
> been a bit sleep deprived, but they still let us in.  fortunately they
> didn't open our luggage which was crammed with all sorts of weird
> electronics.

Without giving too much detail, a few of us did have some border hassles
going into Canada and had the car checked from top to bottom. They
didn't believe the web site listings with our names was legitimate.

They managed to really get interested when they found a large box of
BeagleBone boards and various other tidbits...

This was not a five-minute inspection.

> 2. the following year (2005) i had a medical mixup the night before i
> was supposed to fly out and couldn't go.  .ike amazingly got me a signed
> *draft* of Grog's The Complete FreeBSD 4th edition and mailed it to me.
> i still have the manila envelope safely on a shelf with my other
> comp-sci books.  i *still* owe you for that .ike i'll never forget that
> one.

I remember that!

Yes, an Ike story:

he is doing his first round (of 25) of his FreeBSD jail talks, 10
minutes into it, people are still wondering what Jane Jacobs and
fractals has to do with jails, FreeBSD or the country of Canada.

But by the 11th minute, it was a big "a ha!"

> here's to an awesome virtual conference this year, and keeping fingers
> crossed we can do this in person next year!  i want to see if i can book
> the same room at the "university of canada" when we all get to meet in
> person again :p

Agree.

The Tor/BSD/privacy talk I did a few years back was really enjoyable,
and contrasts so much to the miserable reality of online
conferences/presentations.

I was constantly interrupted by banter and comments from hecklers, in
particular one from Staten Island and one from Detroit.

It's honestly the only comfortable environment to do presentations for
me. To call it an 'engaged audience' would be an understatement.

Now we do presentations with an audience that you can't see, with a few
questions in some chat interface, then say goodbye. But always wondering
if it made any sense, and if anyone was even there.

I did a version of the "Privacy/Security (usually) need Anonymity" for
the ISSA privacy sig, and the only feedback I got was from some
ksh-handled Twitter account person.

One quick note on the origins of BSDCan and NYC*BUG:

Dan will (hopefully) attest to this, but we played a good role in
getting the first one out in the public. Our first public meeting was a
BoF at Linux Expo in 2004, and we have a panel with Dan on it talking
about BDSCan. Now if we could figure out how to get another NYCBSDCon
off the ground when the Covid situation stabilizes...

+1 to face-to-face cons again...