[Tor-BSD] OpenBSD Bandwidth Issues

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 16:00:00 EST 2014

> On 15 Dec 2014, at 7:42, Seth <list at sysfu.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 11:17:54 -0800, Libertas <libertas at mykolab.com> wrote:
>>
>> It turns out my new exit node is an even better example than it was when
>> I posted it two days ago. Compare its measured and consensus bandwidths
>> with its actual bandwidth:
>>
>> https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/CDAB3AE06A8C9C6BF817B3B0F1877A4B91465699
>>
>> It's running on a pretty fast 100 Mbps uplink on a dedicated server with
>> hardware that should be serious overkill.
>
> So if the 'Advertised Bandwidth' value on that page of 1.64MB/s = 'Consensus Bandwidth' then your node is pushing 13.12Mpbs or only 13% of available theoretical bandwidth.
>
> Mine is pushing 1.49MB/s or 11.92Mpbs. https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/E1E1059D8C41FC48B823C6F09348EA89C4D4C9D4
>
> Not sure what the max actual bandwidth of the standard Vultr VPS is, I should run some iperf tests to find out.

tor can often be single-process, single-CPU compute bound, as its cryptography and other computation is incompletely parallelised.

Have you checked the CPU on the main tor process?
(It will spawn a crypto process for each CPU. Don't check those!)

teor
pgp 0xABFED1AC
hkp://pgp.mit.edu/
https://gist.github.com/teor2345/d033b8ce0a99adbc89c5